When opportunity knocks, will you answer? Having a dream is one thing but making it a reality is another, especially when money is involved. Sometimes that opportunity comes in the form of coaching, and we’re joined by one today! Patrice Washington is one of three financial coaches on a new PBS series, Opportunity Knock$, that helps struggling families find resources and reach their financial dreams. Patrice joins us today to share the story of one woman she helped coach throughout the show. PBS also put together an entire resource guide to help find local help near you.
In our headline segment, we share news about the increases to retirement plan contribution limits for 2023. What does it mean for your budget and how can you save more? We’ll give some ideas. We also share clips from an interview we did with Sean Mullaney about retirement savings and plan options for those of you that are self-employed. He shares tips and advice for getting the most out of your savings. We’ll also answer Malcolm’s question about collective investment trusts within his employer sponsored retirement plan and Doug will share his trivia.
You’ll find show notes for this episode at stackingbenjamins.com/patrice-washington-1271.
Deeper dives with curated links, topics, and discussions are on our newsletter, The 201, available at StackingBenjamins.com/201.
- Inflation hike: IRS is raising the 401(k) contribution limit by record amount (CBS News)
- Thanks also to Sean Mullaney for joining Joe on the Fireside app to talk about self-employed retirement savings options. Grab a copy of Sean’s new book Solo 401(k): The Solopreneur’s Retirement Account and watch the full interview on our YouTube page:
Big thanks to Patrice Washington for joining us today. Learn more about Patrice at her website. Watch the new PBS series, Opportunity Knocks on PBS Passport or go to opportunityknocks.net for more information.
- What officials do the Antiques Roadshow insist on always having on site?
Need life insurance? You could be insured in 20 minutes or less and build your family’s safety net for the future. Use StackingBenjamins.com/HavenLife to calculate how much you need and apply.
- Malcolm has the option to invest in a collective investment trust within his employer’s retirement fund. What are these all about and should he do it?
Want more than just the show notes? How about our new newsletter with STACKS of related, deeper links?
- Check out The 201, our email that comes with every Monday and Wednesday episode, PLUS a list of more than 19 of the top money lessons Joe’s learned over his own life about money. From credit to cash reserves, and insurances to investing, we’ll tackle all of these. Head to StackingBenjamins.com/the201 to sign up (it’s free and we will never give away your email to others).
Written by: Brooke Miller
Miss our last show? Listen here: Money Tales of Bone-Chilling Horror