I know what you’re thinking, your brain is the smartest part of your body. But to quote comedian Emo Phillips, look who’s telling you that. Your brain makes great short-term decisions but often at the cost of better long-term thoughts. Better eating? No thanks, the brain knows that ice cream tastes better. Workouts? The brain knows that those hurt. Saving for the future? Ms. Brain says I need money for right now. Luckily help is on the way in today’s episode. Dr. Daniel Willingham joins us to help you trick your brain into better habits. We’ll talk about getting more out of meetings so you can earn more. Take better notes so you remember more. Focus on the task at hand so you can stack more Benjamins.
Of course, that’s not all. During our headline segment, ANOTHER celebrity says that they’re going to disinherit their kids. Who would do this and why? Do we agree? We’ll share. Also, we’ll throw out the Haven Life line to a lucky caller who wants to help HIS mom (our mom 100% approves of this caller!) AND Doug will share his Chinese New Year-related trivia.
Deeper dives with curated links, topics, and discussions are in our newsletter, The 201, available at StackingBenjamins.com/201.
- Marie Osmond says her kids won’t get an inheritance (CBS News)
- 10 Surprisingly Common Estate Planning Mistakes (Kiplinger)
DR. DANIEL T. WILLINGHAM
Big thanks to Dr. Daniel Willingham for joining us today. Grab a copy of his book Outsmart Your Brain: Why Learning is Hard and How You Can Make It Easy.
Watch the interview on our YouTube channel:
- In the lore of Chinese New Year, parents placed a packet with eight coins under a child’s pillow, which scared the demon Sui away. What color was the paper?
Need life insurance? You could be insured in 20 minutes or less and build your family’s safety net for the future. Use StackingBenjamins.com/HavenLife to calculate how much you need and apply.
- Tom’s mom has a 403b account invested in a 3.5% guaranteed fund. He’d like to know if it would it make sense for her to stay in the guaranteed fund due to rising interest rates or look into another investment within the 403b that might produce a better return.
Want more than just the show notes? How about our new newsletter with STACKS of related, deeper links?
- Check out The 201, our email that comes with every Monday and Wednesday episode, PLUS a list of more than 19 of the top money lessons Joe’s learned over his own life about money. From credit to cash reserves, and insurances to investing, we’ll tackle all of these. Head to StackingBenjamins.com/the201 to sign up (it’s free and we will never give away your email to others).
- Best Funeral Commercial EVER? (Michael Gene Conti)
Written by: Tina Ichenberg
Miss our last show? Listen here: Rethinking Money-Spending Traditions: Are They Worth It?