How do homemade ice cream and financial education go together? You’re about to find out, because today we interview two of our fellow Stackers, Lisa and Tom, and one of them shares how they began making homemade ice cream for family and friends and teaching them finance basis! The other recently retired and gives us tips and advice that helped them make the exciting decision to retire.
During our headline segment, we talk about Wells Fargo and their recent decision to close all existing personal lines of credit. They’ve been in the news a lot over the years (mostly negative!) and we offer our thoughts. We’ll also hear from Will Rhind, CEO of GraniteShares, who shares all the details about what’s going on in the current precious metals market.
We’ll finish it out with our Haven Life line call from Nick and answer his questions about 529 contributions. And of course we’ll include some of Doug’s trivia!
We couldn’t bring you three shows a week without our sponsors!
A big thanks to Discover for supporting Stacking Benjamins! Discover matches all the cash back you earn on your credit card at the end of your first year automatically with no limit on how much you can earn. Learn more at Discover.com/yes.
This episode of The Stacking Benjamins Show is sponsored by Home. Made., a podcast from Rocket Mortgage about the meaning of home and what it can teach us about ourselves and others. Search for Home. Made. anywhere you listen to podcasts.
A big thanks to MasterClass for supporting the Stacking Benjamins show! Get 15% off an annual
membership at MasterClass.com/stacking.
Navy Federal Credit Union
If you’re an active duty service member, veteran, D-O-D civilian, or military family member, you can join Navy Federal. That means if you’ve served in any branch of the military–you can join Navy Federal Credit Union. You could pay no fees, get low rates and rate discounts, plus earn cash back and grow your savings. Visit NavyFederal.org for more information.
- Wells Fargo tells customers it’s shuttering all personal lines of credit (CNBC)
- Will Rhind, CEO of GraniteShares joins us to talk about precious metals. Check out this direct link to their page with more information about the ETFs he mentioned: BAR (gold), PLTM (platinum), and COMB (broad index ETF).
Two Stackers Join Us!
Thanks to Lisa and Tom for stopping by to share their stories. Lisa recently retired and shares money tips she and her husband used while paying off debt and saving for retirement. She also shares her decision making process for retiring and choosing her pension options. Tom recently put together a 200 slide financial presentation to help family and friends learn finance basics after he kept getting money questions from family! He tells the story of how he gets people to want to come to his seminar.
- In which century was the earliest time someone wrote about the deliciousness called Mac and Cheese?
Need life insurance? You could be insured in 20 minutes or less and build your family’s safety net for the future. Use StackingBenjamins.com/HavenLife to calculate how much you need and apply.
- Nick has a question about how to maximize the state tax credit for 529 contributions.
Want more than just the show notes? How about a guide with STACKS of related, deeper links?
- Check out The Stacker, our email that comes with every Monday and Wednesday episode, PLUS a list of more than 19 of the top money lessons Joe’s learned over his own life about money. From credit to cash reserves, and insurances to investing, we’ll tackle all of these. Head to StackingBenjamins.com/STACKER to sign up (it’s free and we will never give away your email to others).
- Fidelity cash back credit card. Get more information from Fidelity, here.
- The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John Bogle. You can find a copy of the book here.
Written by: Brooke Miller
Miss our last show? Listen here: Lessons from a Woman Who Found Financial Independence at 27 (with Rachel Richards)