If you’re like most people during the big holiday season, it’s not really a question of IF you go over your budget, but WHEN–and how badly. With another “can’t miss” deal around every corner who can keep themselves from doing a little splurging when shopping this month? Believe it or not, studies show that we plan for all of those expenses….it’s the fact that the muffler sometimes drag behinds the car or another emergency expense happens which sends the budget into a tailspin and your credit card debt soaring. To solve that problem, today we’ll talk to Michele Cagan, author of Budgeting 101. You’ll be happy to hear that Michele doesn’t think you need to track every penny. There’s a better (and easier) way to make sure you get ahead without devoting your whole life to spreadsheets and money tracking programs.
Then, in our headlines segment…what would you do if you found a $7.5 million stash of someone else’s cash? One lucky guy bought a storage unit on the cheap and found a life-changing amount of money hiding inside. Would you invest it, or maybe dash out of the basement and jump on the first plane to Tahiti? We all have our ideas… but this story probably isn’t going to turn out how you’re expecting. We’ll share the rest of what happened during our headlines segment.
In our second headline, Sallie Mae has a new study detailing how people pay for college. Taking a pit stop in the basement to help us make sense of how people save for college, pay for it, and then pay off loans, we’ll talk to Rick Castellano from Sallie Mae.
Of course, that’s not all. We’ll throw out the Haven Life line to Nick, who’s been having some issues with his budget. What can Nick do to cut costs on his operation?
And don’t worry… we’ll still take some time for Doug’s trivia.
Looking for something deeper than what we give you on the show? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter: The Stacker.
Want that latest news from the basement? Looking for something deeper than what we talk about on the show? Subscribe to our weekly newsletter: Stacker
- Man Finds $7.5 Million in Storage Unit He Bought for Just $500 From Storage Wars Star Dan Dotson (Yahoo)
- How Are People Repaying Their Student Loans? (With Rick Castellano from Sallie Mae)
<> Michele Cagan
Check out more from Michele at: MicheleCaganCPA.com
<> Doug’s Trivia
- What is the name of the organization system used to categorize and find books inside of libraries?
- Adam opened up a Roth IRA. How should he be allocating his funds? Should he try to speculate on the market, or set it and forget it? Adam’s also in debt from a car loan, student debt, and credit card debt. Any advice on his financial situation>
<> Haven Life Line
Need life insurance? You could be insured in 20 minutes or less and build your family’s safety net for the future. Use StackingBenjamins.com/HavenLife to calculate how much you need and apply.
- We answer a call from Nick… what’s the best way to cut costs when you’re constantly going over the budget?
Need help with your financial plan? Use this link to schedule a meeting with OG: StackingBenjamins.com/OG